Friday, June 22, 2007

Visit to Vietnam Vets Memorial

First day in D.C. and I found myself wandering toward the Vietnam Vets Memorial. I wasn't going to do this right off, but somehow felt drawn. I didn't expect the powerful and moving experience it turned out to be. Looked up The Bush Man, Milton Jackson Bush, a friend from Loadmaster Training in '66. Panel W24, Line 36. A good guy and my first friend from the South, a small town in Georgia. We had some great times together. He was in Vietnam less than two months before being shot down.

As Loadmaster on a C-141, I flew a lot of missions bringing young men over there and a lot of return trips bringing wounded back on air-evacs. And all the caskets...I will NEVER forget that horrible smell of formaldehyde all the way back to the morgue in Dover. But, for me, a small price to pay compared to those who sacrificed life and limb.

So, I sat and stared and thought. And cried some. Didn't think I would, it being so long ago. I was not alone. The memorial was crowded and many were leaving personal notes, photos, service medals and more. So many people affected. Someone had brought a bugle and was playing Taps. It was heartbreaking.

I normally don't think about those days much, but this moment to reflect on that particular time in my life was, I hope, a way of remembering and honoring all those I served with and those who didn't survive.

Well, I didn't intend to say so much, yet I feel I could go on and on. I won't. Bush Man, you are not forgotten. I salute you, and I'm glad I got a chance to pay my respect at the memorial.

No comments: